Part VII: Cezar Williams

Cezar Williams

Hometown: White Plains, NY but my soul is from Brundidge, Alabama

Current Town: Yonkers, NY

Tell me about: TFTT season 8 ten-minute plays

The Fire This Time is an annual theater and art festival featuring artists of the African Diaspora and the ten minute plays are the center-piece of the three week festival.

Tell me about your process and concept of this show.

I have directed 10 minute plays in the festival before, but this was my first time directing all seven of the plays in a single season. So, I spent a lot of time trying to come up with a concept that would tie the entire evening together. I was blessed with seven wonderful plays and seven wonderful actors; all very unique and very smart. So, it didn’t take long for the playwrights and the actors to kind of show me the connection within all the work. The connection turned out to be that nothing is exactly what we think it is at first glance. If you look at something or someone long enough, with an open mind; your perception will almost always change or Switch. So once I had that in mind, it was simple.

What else are you currently busy with?

I am currently directing a workshop that will receive a production next spring at The National Black Theatre. I am also directing another workshop for a play that will be produced in North Carolina next year. I have two other projects planned for the summer but nothing official yet.

Tell me, if you will, a story from your childhood that explains who you are as a Director and/or as a person.

Great question. The first play I remember seeing was a production of West Side Story at the local community center when I was around 6 years old. I was so enthralled by the love story, that in the end (spoiler alert) when Tony dies, I ran home and just started screaming and yelling and throwing things around my room because (don’t laugh) that play made me realize for the first time that people die, good people, people in love, people with hopes and dreams, they all die. It was quite a scene, if you could imagine, a little boy having the tantrum of all tantrums because of the tragic end of a play. So, I have always been a very passionate person. I have always been a very spiritual person.  I have always felt the power and beauty of love and that the cost of love is loss. That is why I pretty much believe that all great stories; are love stories.

If you could change one thing about theater, what would it be?

I have a list. But if I had to choose just one; I would say the lack of opportunities for new plays to receive full productions with the marketing necessary to fill the house. It appears if theaters are not willing to take a risk on new plays and new playwrights. They would rather produce something with a known track record. I understand the financial motivation and I love the “classics” as much as the next person, but I feel like we are missing out on the opportunity to create new classics.

Who are or were your theatrical Heroes?

I have so many. I am sure I would leave someone off the list. Honestly, I am inspired by everyone I am lucky enough to work with or watch work in theater; every writer, actor, stage manager, designer, musician and producer. However, I will say that reading the book, “A Sense of Direction” by William Ball was a watershed moment for me as a director. It put into words what I have always felt; that art is best created by creating a safe space for artists. Encouraging an artist to trust and to be vulnerable is important. But getting them to believe that their vulnerability is their greatest power is critical.

What kind of theater excites you?

I love theater that is trying to say something new and brave or trying to say something we’ve heard before, but in a new and brave way.

What advice do you have for Directors just starting out?

Respect the craft. Put in the work. Don’t take any shortcuts. Do your homework. Be prepared. But have the courage to let go of your ideas and your answers, in order to be open to someone else’s ideas. I find that my best answers come when I ask my best questions.

Anything else you’d like to add?

Yes. Have fun. It is a play after all.

Shout out to the designers and stage crew.

So much love and gratitude for Hanako Rodriguez, my stage manager for The Fire This Time Festival. She was incredible!!!

Plugs, please:

If you are in Westchester County on February 21st at 11am, go to Westchester Community College to see “Peola’s Passing” by Cynthia G. Robinson. It is an incredible play.
I am directing a wonderful short play by Eliana Pipes, “Stiletto Envy”. It will be performed as part of TDF’s Performeteria at Baruch College Performance Arts Center on March 20th and March 24th.
I am directing a reading of Cheryl Davis’ new play “Swimming Uptown” on April 7th at 7pm at the South Oxford Space in Brooklyn- a project of A.R.T. New York.
Go see Jitney on Broadway if you can.

Go see Crackskull Row at Irish Rep.

Comments